Thursday, January 13, 2011

Design Decisions: Picking a language.

Ultimately I have managed to boil it down to two choices -- C++, and Python.  While Lua is popular lately and would open up the opportunity for me to use the TOME library, I chose not to spend the time to learn a different language when I can focus on improving my expertise in a language I can use for work.
Between the two, C++ offers the advantage of static typing, and, as a result, a more rigid development structure that may be of benefit as the project gets larger.  Python, on the other hand, offers rapid development and a pleasant and intuitive syntax.  I have settled on using Python for now and perhaps delegate any potential computationally intensive processing to a C++ library I can always introduce.  Pyrex was considered, but for the time being not thought necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment